TORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 5, 2012 – – Toyota closed out 2011 with a strong December sales month of 178,311 units sold. With the launch of several new vehicles in 2011 and several more new model launches coming in 2012, Toyota has very high expectations for the future. The following are Toyota sales highlights from 2011:
- Led by an all-new 2012 model, the Camry dynasty continues as it retained its crown as the best-selling car in America for the tenth year in a row and 14 of the past 15 years. In 2011 Camry mid-size sedan outsold its closest competitor by more than 40,000 units.
- The Corolla compact sedan repeated as the compact car sales leader, topping both the Cruze and Focus.
- The Tacoma was once again the sales leader by a wide margin in the compact pickup truck segment. It has been the top-selling compact pickup in America since 2005 and commanded 40 percent of the segment’s market share.
- Prius continued its dominance as the top-selling hybrid vehicle. It has held the title of top-selling hybrid in the world every year of its existence since it first launched in the Japan market in late 1997. It has held the crown of best-selling hybrid in America since it first arrived in July 2000. More than half of all hybrids sold in America continue to be the Prius.
- For the first time, the Sienna was the best-selling van in America.
- Toyota led the industry in certified used vehicle sales, setting a new record with more than 330,000 units sold.